Sunday, November 1, 2015

Showcase Sunday #1 - October Haul!


I'm new to the book blogging community, so I did some browsing with other popular blogs and found the lovely Vicky and her blog Books, Biscuits, and Tea. She has a feature called Showcase Sunday that encourages bloggers to post the books they've collected over the last week, which immediately caught my interest. I go to the book store at least once a week, and I think it would be lovely to share the things that I've collected.

So here's my first haul! In the future, I plan on doing it either weekly or bi-weekly, but since it's my first, I decided to post all of the books that I bought in October 



As you can clearly see, I bought SO MANY books in October... It's kind of sad, actually. I bought a lot of these because I was browsing through the sale rack at my local Books-A-Million and they sounded like stories I would rather enjoy. I checked the GoodReads ratings and reviews before purchasing, of course, but they're still just books I picked up for the heck of it and plan on reading when I get to them. Here's the list so I can move on - I'll post reviews & more about them once I read each one ;)

  • Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin - Never. Going. To. Happen. This pissed me off to no end within the first two chapters. I won't be picking this up again.
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters by Kimberly Karalius
  • The Sister Wife by Diane Noble
  • Faking 19 by Alyson Noel
  • Ladies' Night by Mary Kay Andrews
  • The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth Laban
  • The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennett by Bernie Su & Kate Rorick
  • The Art of Arranging Flowers by Lynne Branard

Onto the books I bought with a clear reason...


Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver
Pandemonium is the second book in the Delirium series. The first was a favorite last month in this post, so you know I had to pick this one up as soon as I finished! Sadly, though, I couldn't get into the new characters that were introduced and I was missing the first book too much to care about this one. I only got through about 60 pages before I had to put it down.
I'll pick it up again, but it might be a little while before I can wrap my mind around the plot twist and things that are going on so far in this book.




Possession by Elana Johnson
I bought this book after my sad start with Pandemonium. The story sounds almost the same as Delirium, which intrigued me and made me wonder whether I could have a book that was similar, but didn't have the annoying plot twists that were introduced. Possession seems like it would be a great series, so I am super excited to read this one! It doesn't hurt that it has a really pretty cover and it kind of looks like the Matched trilogy!


The Cellar by Natasha Preston
If you just read the description of this book, you'll understand what compelled me to buy it.
"Colin Brown, is a thirty-year-old solicitor living alone after the death of his mother. He suffered a traumatic and abusive childhood, and is left with no sense of right or wrong. Desperate for the perfect family, Colin, referring to himself as Clover, turns to drastic measures to get what he wants."
HE KIDNAPS GIRLS. That's just an automatic interesting story to me. I'll be picking this up very soon.


The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp
I watched this movie before I even knew it was a book because I love Shailene Woodley. After I found out it was a book as well, I knew I had to read it. It's one of those stories that make you laugh and cry. I'm looking forward to reading this, but I hope it isn't ruined because I know what happens in the end.


The Husband's Secret by Liane Morairty
On GoodReads, I follow many reviewers and this book was reviewed by Jennifer recently. She said it was a definite 5-star read and the synopsis sounded brilliant to me.

Imagine that your husband wrote you a letter, to be opened after his death. Imagine, too, that the letter contains his deepest, darkest secret—something with the potential to destroy not just the life you built together, but the lives of others as well. Imagine, then, that you stumble across that letter while your husband is still very much alive. . . .

I'm very curious to find out the secret and what happens!



The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa
The first part of The Iron King put me in a reading slump. There, I said it! But once I finally finished reading it, it left me curious to find out what was going to happen next. I have avoided starting The Iron Daughter because I was scared that I'd get in another slump and not be able to read anything else for a while. But HEY, the cover is sooooo beautiful, it was hard not to purchase *-*



The Treatment by Suzanne Young
Finally we one I read! This is one of my favorite books that I read in October and I recommend it to everyone who likes dystopian, but is okay with having their heart ripped to shreds. I enjoyed everything about this book and cannot wait until I can purchase a paperback copy of The Remedy so I can start the prequel! Side note: I hate hardcover books and I don't like that I can't get the paperback version at the same time as the hardcover... Why must they do this to me?!


So there we have it - my super long crazy impossible to follow list that you're probably just skimming through to find out why I buy so many books that I don't read for months and months. This list also doesn't include the ebooks I purchased, but I will write about those once I review them!

Have you read any of these books/series? Are they worth putting at the top of my list?


0 comments:

Post a Comment